DIY is a huge part of home renovating and painting. If you need to paint your entire exterior, you’ll probably want to hire some help from a professional contractor. But for a small wall, or a bathroom? A lot of people are hesitant to shell out a lot of money for that. Why would they when they could just buy a can of paint and do it themselves?
Of course, like most things, it’s a bit more complicated than that. Many regular people have been able to paint their homes or bedrooms nicely – but there have also been a lot of people who have tried and failed. It’s often a safety issue that causes these failures. It’s easy to view this job as a simple one, but there are still plenty of ways you can harm yourself or others. Here are four safety tips to avoid that:
Make Sure The Area Is Properly Ventilated
Paint fumes are dangerous, and you never want to a inhale them. It’s especially important that children and pets don’t accidentally inhale them. That’s why ventilation is very important. Not only will it ensure you don’t pass out, it will help speed up the curing process. The paint will dry much faster with a little air.
Make Sure Your Tools Are Comfortable
When we talk about painting tools, we always suggest choosing brushes that will be comfortable to hold for hours. That’s because paintbrushes are all pretty similarly effective, so it’s important to choose one you won’t mind holding for a long period of time. Comfort can also prevent overuse injuries that can occur after long painting sessions.
Consider Using Canvas Floor Protection Instead Of Paper
Your floors and furniture should be protected during the painting process, which usually means bringing painter’s plastic or newspaper. However, both of these can be rather slippery when stepped on, and you don’t want to worry about footing when you’re painting. So if you don’t mind the extra cost, we recommend laying down canvas drop cloths instead. They stay in place better, and can always be reused.
Don’t Try To Remove Popcorn Ceilings Or Old Paint
If your house was built before the year 1990, there’s a high probability it has asbestos or lead-based paint in it. Most old popcorn ceilings had asbestos in them, and lead-based paint was still being used throughout the 1980s. Both of these substances are toxic and should be avoided at all costs.
If you think there might be one or both of these in your home, you should contact a professional painting company to come in and inspect it. They are professionally trained not only to identify these dangerous substances and get rid of them safely – something you should never take on by yourself.